· ICJP Legal Working Group for Canadian Accountability (ICJP LWGCA) has written a notice of intention to seek prosecution of Canadian government officials, for aiding and abetting war crimes in Gaza.
· Prime Minister Trudeau is one of four Canadian politicians who have been issued with the notice.
Toronto, 16 November 2023 – The ICJP’s Legal Working Group for Canadian Accountability (ICJP LWGCA) has issued a notice to the Government of Canada of its intention to prosecute Canadian officials for their role in aiding and abetting Israel’s perpetration of war crimes.
The notice was issued to leading members of the Liberal government, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mélanie Joly, Minister of National Revenue Marie-Claude Bibeau, and Minister of Justice (Attorney General) Arif Virani.
The notice included a stark warning that Canadian government officials could be individually liable and face before the International Criminal Court if there is evidence they have aided and abetted Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity (a violation of Article 25(3)(c) and (d) of the Rome Statute).
The initiative has been supported by numerous leading domestic and international organizations dedicated human rights, international law, peace and foreign policy.
To date over 11,000 people in Gaza have been killed by Israel’s military. Israel’s alleged international crimes include the withholding of humanitarian aide and safe passage, indiscriminately bombing civilians, and ethnic cleansing through a campaign of forced displacement of 1.5 million people. All of this has occurred while Israel has issued ominous statements indicative of a significant risk of genocide.
Despite this, the Canadian government has continued to pledge its steadfast support for Israel. It has also refused to halt arms exports, refused to take action to prevent the illegal recruitment of Canadian volunteers to assist Israel’s military, and refused to stop millions of dollars from being unlawfully sent by some Canadian organizations with charitable status to benefit Israel’s military.
ICJP LWGCA calls on the Government of Canada to end its complicity in war crimes by calling for a ceasefire, canceling all arms exports permits to Israel, prosecute those recruiting Canadian volunteers for Israel’s armed forces, and prevent Canadian charities from using donations to benefit Israel’s armed forces.
ICJP LWGCA continues to gather evidence in relation to the conduct of Canadian officials and intends to pursue all appropriate courses of action to ensure that those responsible for aiding and abetting war crimes are held accountable before the International Criminal Court and in other appropriate legal forums.
Notes to Editors:
- The International Centre of Justice for Palestinians is an independent organisation of lawyers, politicians and academics who support the rights of Palestinians and aim to protect their rights through the law.
- This initiative has been endorsed by numerous organizations, including Al-Haq, the Al Mezan Center for Human Rights, the Palestinian Center for Human Rights, Palestinian and Jewish Unity, Independent Jewish Voices (Canada), World Beyond War,Just Peace Advocates, and the Canadian Foreign Policy Institute.
- For more information, or to arrange an interview, please contact Shane Martínez and Asaf Rashid of the ICJP’s Legal Working Group for Canadian Accountability by e-mail: [email protected]